- Field Organizing Update: December 6 School Climate Actions
- Call for Media Submissions!
- Enforcing Your Union Contract: Recent Grievance Filings
- Legislative Reception January 5, 2024
- Apple Ballot Candidate Interview Team Sign-Up
- MSEA Professional Development Opportunity: Live Fall Praxis Preparation Session
1. Field Organizing Update: December 6 School Climate Actions
Left: Fox Chapel ES’s delegation team. Right: Rock View ES delegation delivers their letter.
On Wednesday, December 6, members at 18 schools and worksites (and counting!) took action to address climate concerns. Building Reps and leaders made their voices heard by:
- Completing building walks to identify deeply and widely felt issues at their school or worksite.
- Writing letters concerning deeply and widely felt worksite-based and / or systemwide issues and proposing solutions and remedies.
- Collecting signatures on the letters from colleagues to show union solidarity.
- Delivering the letters to MCPS building administrators and supervisors through RedforEd Delegations.
MCEA members are making our voices heard! Through our organizing efforts, we are making bold demands to MCPS administration, imploring them to work with us to improve working conditions and students’ learning conditions. Let’s continue amplifying our collective voice: get involved and join other sites in our workplace climate campaign. Reach out to your MCEA Building Representatives, your assigned MCEA Uniserv Director, and/or learn more about how to take action at https://bit.ly/MCEAmembermaterials.
2. Call for Media Submissions!
Do you capture awesome moments of you and your colleagues taking action in the field? We want your photos and videos. Please send pictures and videos of you and your fellow educators doing your amazing work to inspire others. Submit content to [email protected] . Like and follow us @mceanea on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter!
3. Enforcing Your Union Contract: Recent Grievance Filings
A grievance was filed for discipline without proper cause on behalf of a member who was improperly issued a Summary of Conference. The relevant contract language is in Article 12 E, which reads: No unit member shall be disciplined without proper cause.
A grievance was filed for denial of moving pay on behalf of a member who was improperly denied pay. The relevant contract language is in Article 22 L, which reads: Classroom Moves Between Worksites Classroom teachers (.5 FTE and above) whose full assignments are changed from one or more work locations to one or more other work locations or staff forced to relocate mid-year due to a partial reconstruction or renovation in which there was not a school-wide closure are eligible for up to seven (7) hours of compensation at the Tier Two rate of pay for moving.
4. Legislative Reception – Join us Friday, January 5, 2024!
MCEA’s Annual Legislative Reception will take place on the evening of Friday, January 5. The reception is open to all members. It is an opportunity to meet and have in-depth discussions with the elected officials who make decisions that impact our work. Please RSVP to attend through the following link: https://bit.ly/MCEAreception24
5. Apple Ballot Candidate Interview Team Sign-Up
Did you know we as educators are able to elect our bosses? MCEA members have a special role in recommending and electing pro-public education candidates who value students, educators, and the communities we serve.
Before any candidate is recommended by MCEA, educators meet with and interview each candidate who seeks to have their name on our Apple Ballot. Member participation in these interviews is critical, not only to recommending the right candidates, but also to holding those elected accountable to their campaign promises.
Sign up to be a part of the Apple Ballot candidate recommendation interview team HERE! https://bit.ly/2024ABinterviews
Apple Ballot candidate interviews will be held on Saturday, February 3, 2024, with a mandatory training day on Friday, February 2, 2024. Union Business Leave will be provided for this training.
For more information, please reach out to Lindsay Barrett at [email protected]
6. MSEA Professional Development Opportunity: Live Fall Praxis Preparation Sessions
Are you looking for support with Praxis content? Do you need help figuring out where to start and what to look for? Look no further! Our Praxis tutors are here to provide live Praxis content sessions. The sessions allow members to explore the content knowledge and strategies they need to help maneuver and pass the Praxis. The sessions are designed to help you reach your full potential as a Praxis candidate. So, what are you waiting for? Allow us to support you on this awesome journey! Click here for details.
Contact: Danielle Jones